Experiencing Yokohama and Minatomirai

Monday, January 23, 2017


Minatomirai / Photo courtesy of japan-guide.com
Most tourists in Japan are concentrated in the Tokyo area as evidenced by various cultures and colors present in many attractions. My first destination in my first ever travel to Japan was in Yokohama together with my family. Truth be told, there was no much concentration of foreign tourists in Yokohama which makes me wonder because I can attest that Yokohama is an equally beautiful place easily accessible by the train system.

Yokohama Port
Most people go to the Cup Noodles Museum when they go to Yokohama, which I failed to do so because I prioritized going to the Yokohama Chinatown to get a taste of their all-you-can-eat (tabehoudai). Going back, our first destination was going to Yokohama Port and Minatomirai because of a "Pokemon" event that we saw on some advertisements. My cousin and his wife had a car so we did not have any problem going to Minatomirai. In case you will be traveling thru train, I suggest you use the Tokyu Toyoko line that continues to travel as a local train to Motomachi Chukagai (most of them coming from the Fukutoshin line and if you are traveling from Tokyo perhaps from Shibuya Station) and you can drop off at Minatomirai station.

Picture with the Red Brick Warehouse
The Yokohama Port was a refreshing place to be at. Even our skins were pressed against the scorching summer heat, the breeze from the sea was lovely and we did enjoy our strolling there. The view is breathtaking and it was a nice escape from the sun. After which, we went to the Red Brick Warehouse to discover various restaurants and souvenir shops making us want to eat already. The Red Brick Warehouse is very fascinating and it houses various restaurants and cafes if you need your well-deserved rest-and-relaxation.


At the back (or at the side, or near the Red Brick Warehouse - I'm totally bad with directions), we witnessed a Pikachu event on-going and it was one of those cutest-thing-ever that you will want to witness. Afterall, there are a lot of life-size dancing pikachu with various dresses and would make you want to hug them and take them home. I was lucky enough to have a picture with a Pikachu with combination of people being people (I mean, photobombers hehe).

At Yokohama LaLaport
We were tired after and wanted to have an airconditioner in our presence, which prompted us to go Yokohama LaLaport (which is better than the LaLaport in Toyosu because... this one is much livelier). I was able to see dancing Pikachu all-over again and I am ready to declare Yokohama as a pikachu-friendly tourist attraction. Unless you are shopping or you want to take a break by eating, you will not find any other attraction inside LaLaport because basically, it's a shopping mall similar to what we have in the Philippines.

Fisherman's Market (Photo courtesy of my cousin-in-law, Pringle)
Because of all that walking, we were already famished and wanted to eat like royalty. Unfortunately, we did not find any restaurant where all of us could agree with. In the end, in order to satiate all of our desires for food, we have chosen to go to an all-you-can-eat (tabehoudai) at Fisherman's Market which featured unlimited crab legs and all other food around the world. It also had desserts by the way so we didn't really have any problem with disagreements for the food. The price per head during that time (it was lunch) was JPY 2,000.00, which was not bad considering the existence of crabs. I also learned a technique from my aunt on how to eat crabs the right way to maximize eating the flesh of the crab legs. 


Before I went home to the Philippines, I went back to Minatomirai because I wanted to try the Cosmoworld but it was a Thursday and I was not informed that it was closed on a Thursday. I was saddened because I lost my chance to at least try a Japanese amusement park and to have a romantic date with myself considering all those lights and all. But I had a chance to try the Japanese onsen (hot spring) in front of Comosworld which was very much enjoyable and de-stressing, but I paid JPY 2,800.00 for that one (my aunt told me that she knows a good onsen for only JPY 600.00). I had no regrets, though, because the place was really relaxing and all the amenities that you need are present. It was like a VIP treatment for me.

 
Before we went home, I was introduced to a second-hand shop, a place where you can buy and sell second-hand items. It was a really nice place because some items do not look like they are second-hand at all! It was a place I wish I could be my shopping haven if ever I will be living in the Japan in the future (fingers crossed). Shoes, bags, appliances, gadgets, and even furniture are on sale and they are in great condition. I really wanted the white boots but when I tried it on, my feat screamed with pain and blisters started to form immediately (just kidding, but is half-meant).

Ironically, I have been only to Yokohama twice (well, I was living in Yokohama for the 15 days of my stay in Japan; to be more specific, to tourist attractions) and concentrated my solo adventures to Tokyo. Should I visit Japan again in the future (which I will), I'll visit Yokohama again and try to cover much more places to expose its beauty.

You Might Also Like

0 comments